His post made me realize that Jonathan had put his finger on a key new trend indicator for philanthropy - domain name registration. Here is how the indicator will be interesting:
- How many sites get put up containing the name of the disaster-du-jour (sorry if that is crass) and how quickly they go up;
- How many get used to fundraise - legitimately or otherwise;
- How many pre-existing, legitimate donation sites grab on to the disaster-name to improve their search results;
- How quickly Google sets up mini-sites for donations; and
- The pace of giving on Google checkout.