Hedge fund managers are notoriously competitive, even with (especially with?) their foundations.
HedgeCo lists the top 25 foundations created by hedge fund managers - by asset size and rate of growth. In case you care, here are the data:
- The top 25 hedge fund foundations now have $3.52 billion in assets. That is an increase of 76.8% over the $1.99 billion in assets the previous year.
- Gifts to these foundations in same time period totaled $865 million, a 190% increase over previous year
- Biggest hedge fund foundations are (top 3, hit the link for more):
- George Soros, Open Society Institute
- Julian Robertson, Robertson Foundation
- Jim Simons, Simons Foundation
Here's a tip to purveyors of industry data (Foundation Center, Independent Sector, Giving USA, etc.) - its not enough to track philanthropy by region, issue or type of foundation - you need to start collecting data by "employment of endower" - e.g. software, hardware, hedge fund, steel magnate, banking, telecommunications, etc. etc.