Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Two big questions on the social economy

There are two overarching questions on my mind.
  1. How can we take advantage of the vastly increasing social economy? In Philanthropy and Social Investing: Blueprint 2011 I point out the likelihood of tremendous growth in private resources for public good. I also point out some of the ways this could fail to happen, the ways it might be offset by public sector cutbacks, and encourage us to think about the intersections between the now ever present distinct options from social businesses to nonprofits, investing to philanthropy.
  2. What are the new rules we need to make the most of this social economy? This is, in essence, the core of a new project I will be working on at Stanford come Fall 2011.
I'll be talking about both of these things, and learning from your questions, on a webinar with the Stanford Social Innovation Review Tuesday, May 17 at 11:00 p.s.t. You can register here.

I'd love to focus this as much as possible on your questions. If you'd like to do some homework in advance of the session, you can purchase a discounted copy of the Blueprint 2011 annual industry forecast. Please send me questions about the social economy via twitter @p2173 or in the comments below. Thanks and hope to "see" you on the 17th.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It doesn't seem that the 2011 Blueprint is available in e-reader format. Can that be true??

Lars Føleide said...

An annual book published in 2011, with no digital format... nah, I refuse to believe that is the case.

You should look harder. Surely there must be something!

Lucy Bernholz said...

Jeremy

It's available for Kindle here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ELAMIQ

And as a pdf from Scribd here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/44712605/Philanthropy-and-Social-Investing-Blueprint-2011

It isn't in eReader format because I am too clutzy to do that easily and the version I produced several months ago was a disaster. If you can point me to an easy conversion process from pdf to eReader I will make it available ASAP.

Thanks

Lucy

Lucy Bernholz said...

Sorry - the last comment should have been addressed to Jerry, not Jeremy. Sigh. I need to slow down a bit

Lucy

Richard said...

Lucy,
I've signed up for the webinar and ordered the report from lulu.com (before I saw the comments above that it is available from scribd and amazon).

I indicated on the Stanford site that I was interested in the area of regional comparison but I can elaborate a bit more here.

Being based in the UK, I'm interested to know whether you see UK, Europe and Asia as followers of philanthropic trends originating in the US or if there's anything original going on in any of those regions.

Richard

Lucy Bernholz said...

Richard

Thanks for writing in. I love this question. I'd argue that the US is following the UK, Europe and Asia on some important trends - namely rise of social business, interest in impact investing, and creation of new enterprise forms for providing good (CIC in UK --> B Corp in US).

It is a two way street now, more than ever.

Lucy