I've heard (and provided) a lot of commentary on the impact of the financial crisis on nonprofits and philanthropy.
Here's a different question - what are the implications of an Obama administration - or more accurately - a Democratic Administration and Congress, on left-leaning/progressive/social justice-oriented funders and nonprofits? I've been thinking about a few:
- Leadership transitions at NPO/foundations as folks move into public sector positions;
- Revelations and inquiries into donors and supporters for the NPOs/foundations - see both Clinton nomination and former NPO leader appointed to HHS;
- Need to assess financing needs in light of new public budgets/priorities;
- Need for new advocacy messages as relationship shifts from oppositional to ... ?
- New capacity to win and manage public funds;
- New emphasis on social innovation and/or enterprise and/or service;
- Possible additional emphasis on outcomes and performance;