Monday, May 09, 2011

Apostrophes


(Cartoon by William Haefeli, May 2, 2011, The New Yorker)

Regular readers of this blog know that I have a lifelong inability to correctly use the apostrophe* in the word "it's." Those who read my published work have no idea how much credit I owe to good copy editors. I have, after 48 years, given up. (I'm sorry Mr. Frost and every other teacher since fourth grade) I now try to only use the phrase "it is."

Excuse this non-philanthropy-related indulgence but I need to share this cartoon with the grammarians among you (whom I adore and thank). It is hilarious.

*I found the photo on the blog apostrophecatastrophe. Gotta love the Internet!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

his, hers, its;
he's, she's, it's.

Lucy Bernholz said...

Mr. Frost! You're back!

(Smile)

Thank you, anonymous.

Lucy

Chris Cardona said...

Good one. Did you know that the horse that (sadly) finished last in the Kentucky Derby this past weekend, Comma to the Top, is named after the way some people refer to the apostrophe? Talk about a catastrophe!

Lucy Bernholz said...

Thanks to *Everyone* who has commented on the apostrophe issue. I never knew I shared this inability with so many...

Chris - I hadn't heard about the horse - I'm wondering if thinking about apostrophes as commas might actually help me and...my condition...?

Lucy

Tina said...

A teacher once told me to think of the apostrophe as a little "i" in "it's." To this day I still think of this when I write.

Lucy Bernholz said...

Hmm. A little "i" - that might work...I love that I might get suggestions on how to finally learn this rule